The Petoskey News-Review and the Gaylord Herald Times were named “Newspapers of the Year” in the Michigan Press Association’s 2010 Better Newspaper Contest.
9:43 a.m. CST, January 17, 2011
The Petoskey News-Review and the Gaylord Herald Times were named “Newspapers of the Year” in theMichigan Press Association’s 2010 Better Newspaper Contest.
The News-Review received nine awards in the contest including two firsts, one for General Excellence, and one for Picture Story.
The Herald Times received six awards. It also took a first for general excellence.
The News-Review was named Newspaper of the Year in the Class D Division for dailies 12,001 circulation and under.
The Herald Times was named Newspaper of the year in the Weekly Class C category for weeklies with circulation of 4,001 to 10,000). This is the 17th time in 19 years the Herald Times has received Newspaper of the Year recognition.
General excellence is awarded to a newspaper showing excellence in overall appearance and content. Judging is based on layout, design, use of photos, headlines and body type, reproduction quality, overall appearance and imagination, advertising, local news content, editorial page, etc.
In giving the News-Review its first in general excellence the judges said: “Quality and quantity. This newspaper averaged 32 pages per issue and was above average in every category. Quality writing with strong local coverage. Editorial pages had it all—editorials, locally written columns and reader input. Crisp page design. Great use of photos and color-created ad design.”
About the Herald Times the judge’s commented: “By far and away the best entry! Great color, layout, advertising and strong writing. Great product, cover to cover.”
In addition to general excellence the awards won by the News-Tribune were:
- First, Picture Story, Staff, Veteran’s Day Photo Essay;
- Second, Design, Staff;
- Second, Sports Writing, Steve Foley;
- Second, Lifestyle Section, Staff;
- Third, Spot News, Christina Rohn and Steve Zucker;
- Third, Editorial Pages, Staff;
- Third, Sports Column, Andy Sneddon;
- Third, Feature Story, Christina Rohn;
Other awards won by the Gaylord Herald Times editorial department were:
- Second, Sports Writing, Jeremy Speer;
- Second, Sports Columnist, Chris Engle;
- Third, Spot News Story, Michael Jones;
- Third, Sports Coverage, Jeremy Speer;
- Third, Lifestyle Section, Staff;
- Honorable mention, Design, Staff;
- Honorable mention, Local Columnist, Frank Michels.